woensdag 3 november 2010

Variations on a dress



This is an article in a women's magazine (Het Rijk der Vrouw) from 1940. As textile had gotten scarce and was no longer freely avaiable all kind tips on how to keep looking good were given in these magazines. This time it is about the many different ways one simple dress can be worn.



Well this is the simple dress. Given the plaeting and other details it does not even look that simple.



A kind of collar. The text reads "does this not look neat when I have to visit my strict uncle".



With a little (rather unflattering)vest. "But when I receive people myself I prefer this sweet vest. Is my old dress still recognizable?)



A silly hat a lace collar, silk flower and a different belt are added. "On a cosy tea afternoon at my dearest friends everybody was exited about my distinguished little toilet". The text is very,very oldfashioned but in English it does not even sound that archaic.



An outfit for going out (could not read the text on the photo and haven't got the magazine anywhere near). With a coat hat and a piece of fabric for a belt. This outfit is my favorite it is the most glamorous and least silly of them all I think.



A last outfit for colder days. Same coat turned inside-out, how clever :P.

Now I have a simple dark late 30's dress too. And just like the 'model' (aka ordinary woman) in this article I can wear it in very different ways. Coming weeks I plan to post a veriation every week.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten