maandag 18 april 2011

1939 fashion plates


Summer ensemble with floral embroidery.

Here are some high quality french fashion plates I bought this weekend. They are from a 1939set of designs. Most of the pictures from this period are from magazines or cataloguesoften printed on thin paper. These ones are quite differentthey feel similar to the victorian type though not as delicately hand colored. They were probably shown to women to choose from at dressmakers shops. There's no text to acompany them, maybe there would have been a short intro at the beginning of a series but that probably would have been all.


Blue evening dress

I know this because a while ago I saw a several of these series in complete form in a museum where I did some research to find material for an exhibition I'm working on for another museum. Ofcourse I could not post immages of those plates on the internet since they belong to the museum and are not on display. I was amazed by them. Especially the use of color. Even the ones that were issued during the war were in bright lemon greens, shocking pinks and sky blue hues and printed on durable paper. Alltogether very different from most magazine pictures.


Autunm/winter dress


The pictures in this post strongly remember me of the series from the museum. I will be able to dispay those at the coming exhibition. Can't wait to show these hidden treasures to a public.


More subdued hues for a winter coat.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten