woensdag 30 juni 2010

The Bowes Museum



On the same day I visited the Hadrian Wall I also visited the Bowes Museum. Next to a collection of paintings the museum houses many different aplied arts. They also have a collection of textile and dress. Excuse the poor quality of the photo´s they were made with my moblile phone without the use of flash. Because light is killing for textiles these exhibitions tend to bee rather dimly lit making the photo´s very blurred.

I was pleasantly surprized by three gowns by Madeleine Vionnet. I was delighted since Vionnet is one of my favorite 30´s designers.












The rest of the exhibition room was filled with a short ´timeline´of fashion history from the 18th through the 20th century. Eventhough this is an oldfashioned way of showing costume it worked well here. In a few big glass cases a rough scetch of the feel of different era´s was created not only with clothes but also with accessories and portrait paintings. The thing I noticed especially were the dummies that were used. They were hollow and made of see-through plastic, sometimes allowing the inside of the garments to show.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten